iPP - intelligent Power Pod
The intelligent power pod (iPP) provides power, communications and control for remote underwater systems. It is effectively an ROV control pod providing support for cameras, lights, sensor and control data. When used with an intelligent Valve Pack (iVP), it provides a complete control package. A single iPP can host 2 x iVPs, such as a general function valve pack and a thruster controller can be configured to use a variety of communications protocols to provide a reliable mini-network subsea. In effect, the iPP acts as the subsea ‘network’ master whereby the 2 x iVPs are connected to the iPP for management of the data flow to and from the surface control computer.
The iPP is a one atmosphere cylindrical vessel approximately 215mm in diameter and less than 700mm in length (including connectors). The standard iPP is manufactured from Aluminium 6082T6, hard anodised, dyed-black and sealed. iPPs are vacuum secured, have an internal water detection alarm and have a standard working pressure of 3000 msw. The iPP is also available in Duplex Stainless Steel which, depending upon the end caps fitted, can increase its depth rating to 6000 msw. Electrical interfaces are normally SubConn as standard, however, Burton metal shell connectors are an option.
The iPP is suitable for ROV upgrades, tracked vehicle control and specialist tooling packages. Used in conjunction with the iVP and other associated control system products, it provides a cost effective control package, complete with bespoke software.
The iPP is available both in conventional ‘copper’ based format or as a sophisticated fibre optic based multiplexer. The fibre optic iPP model can be fitted with either one or two, 2-channel single mode Moog Focal 907 fibre optic multiplexer PCBs. The fibre optic interface uses a 4-pass Optolink SM/SF CCP type penetrator assembly fitted to the electrical interface end cap. This may be substituted for an FCR type Optolink bulkhead connector if preferred. A typical basic specification is as follows:
- Moog Focal 907 fibre optic multiplexer (1 or 2 PCBs).
- Input power requirements 90-135V AC, 50-60Hz @ 15A maximum (dependent on lighting load and actual supply voltage).
- Power supplies for up to 6 x 24V DC video cameras, 2 c/w focus & zoom capability, 2 c/w focus control, 2 c/w fixed focus. Note that external sensors such as sonars, altimeters or profilers may be fitted in place of cameras if these functions are required.
- Power supplies for 6 x 250W 115V AC underwater lighting units, each channel individually fused, switched with double pole relays and capable of remote dimming.
- DC power supplies for 2 x iVPs (maximum total supply typically 14A @ 24V DC shared).
- 12 x fault tolerant 16-bit analogue input external sensor channels using industry standard 4-20mA process loop signals.
- Internal 6-input x 6-output double pole isolated video cross-point matrix switcher (allows any one of the 6 video camera input signals to be routed to any of the 6 video output channels).
- Optional 24V DC and/or 115V AC electric pan & tilt drivers. Positional feedback sensors are also supported.
- Internal vacuum sensor and non-return vacuum valve for pre-dive seal energising.
- Communications multiplexer providing direct telemetry link to the surface (via the host ROV RS232 mux link) for all downlink and uplink data for the complete system.